This recipe has been in my family for a while, but I’m not sure if anyone knows exactly where it came from to be honest. Because of my food allergies, several of my family members went out of their way on special occasions to find things that I could eat. This cake is a result of their efforts; and boy, is it a winner. Not only is it made without egg, but it’s entirely vegan. AND it’s pretty darn delicious.
It was my mom’s birthday this past weekend and when I asked her what kind of dessert she wanted to have, she requested a chocolate cake that both me and my dad could enjoy. He’s lactose intolerant, so between the two of us you can only imagine how creative my mom had to be in the kitchen to accommodate for the varying food restrictions. I knew I would make this cake after hearing her request. It’s remarkably easy, only uses one bowl, and I can have it fresh and ready to eat in 30 minutes. Yes, another very, very quick recipe; my favorite!! It’s almost too good to be true.
Depending on what kind of dessert being made, the substitutions that work best for egg vary. When baking cakes, the best solution is to replace egg with vinegar and baking soda. It’s a very strange concept, but it works like magic and results in a light and fluffy cake (rather than a dense, flat one as they turn out with some other substitutes). The more I bake without egg, the more I learn!
Vegan Chocolate Cake (In 30 Minutes!)
6-8 servings, 25-30 minutes
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cups sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cups water
1 T vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Powdered sugar or frosting to finish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix all together until the cocoa powder is visibly even throughout.
3. Add the vanilla, vinegar, and water to the dry ingredients. Stir until most of the lumps are gone.
4. Pour the mixture into an 8-inch (or 9) round cake pan.
5. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. After done baking, allow the cake to cool before decorating. If you try to put frosting on it before it’s room temperature, it will melt, so just wait… OR dust the cake with powdered sugar. It’s the quickest way to finish this off. It only takes a second!