Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
makes about a gallon of ice cream, takes about 1 1/2-2 hours
- 2 quarts of half & half
- 2 pints of heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/2 cups of sugar
- 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- rock salt
a hand mixer and a 4-quart ice cream maker.
- Combine the dairy, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl using the hand mixer.
- Once the sugar is completely dissolved, pour the mixture into the center piece of the ice cream maker.
- Set up ice cream maker as instructed. Start the machine.
- Fill up the area around the ice cream with alternating layers of handfuls of ice and rock salt. (The rock salt slows the melting process of the ice!)
- Check back every 10-15 minutes to top off the ice/salt with more.
- When the ice cream becomes too thick to turn, the machine will begin to struggle audibly. At some point the machine should come to a stop.
Enjoy with others or alone. 😉