I’m always on the lookout for recipes that I can make and enjoy more than once because I am usually only cooking for one (me!). I really hate letting things go to waste.
While on the hunt for a breakfast item I could make, I stumbled across the idea of making a loaf of bread… but not just any bread…
THIS bread. Because yum.
This bread is seriously super amazing and melts in your mouth– I’m drooling just thinking about it. I may be the only person in the world that believes this, but raisins are totally underrated; they’re really quite delicious. Mmmm.
Raisin bread was one of my absolute breakfast and snack-time favorites growing up. My mom would buy a loaf from the store and it would be gone within a couple days. I actually shared this loaf with my parents and they LOVED it, too!
This bread may not last a week like the ones you can buy from the store, but it will stay good for about three or four days on the counter in a bag. It’s also much healthier than the store-bought kind!
Vegan Cinnamon Raisin Bread
makes 12-16 slices, takes about 2 1/2 hours
- 1 packet of yeast (1/4 oz.)
- 1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
- 1/2 sugar, divided in half
- 3 T. vegetable/canola oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 T. ground flax seeds & 2 T. water
- Roughly 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water (follow instructions on the packet)
- Add sugar (1/4 cup), oil, salt, flax seeds, water, and about 2 1/4 cups of flour.
- Knead the dough until elastic on a floured surface.
- Place dough in a bowl and let rise for an hour or until you can notice a change in the size of the dough.
- Punch dough down and knead in the raisins.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with cinnamon powder.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough flat and sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on it.
- Roll up the dough into a swirl shape and place into a 4″ x 8″ baking pan. Be sure that all edges are tucked down into the pan, otherwise your loaf may start to unravel in the oven.
- Let this rise again for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve each slice toasted with pat of butter. So yummy. 😀