Wow. Life has literally been a whirlwind of insanity and awesomeness over the past four weeks. I apologize for the delay of this post (& the next few to come) and the sad quality of these pictures. These muffins were actually freaking delicious and I almost forgot to take pictures of them altogether! Anyways… I finished winter classes at school (and got an A!!), trained and ran a half marathon, cooked/ate healthier than usual (hence these muffins), met a ton of awesome new people, experienced a week straight of being bombarded by birthday celebrations (what the heck, February?), and explored some new hobbies (like painting!).
Now that school and the half marathon are out of the way, I finally have a chance to breathe and catch up on life for a couple of weeks. Phew! It took over two months of prepping and close to three hours this past Sunday to finish jogging those 13.1 miles. The race was so fulfilling.
We ran in Ventura for the Seaside Half, which was roughly a six mile jog up the coast and back. Absolutely gorgeous. And it started raining just after we crossed the finish line! 🙂
I know this might be crazy to say, but I highly recommend signing up and completing a half-marathon. It’s such a good feeling to push yourself beyond what you thought you were capable of. Three months ago, if someone would have told me to run one, I would have laughed out loud so hard in their face. Like, really hard. I’ve never been the type of person to run, let alone work out. It took a bottle of white wine and a hard-working, great old friend of mine to get me to think otherwise.
makes one dozen muffins, takes 45 minutes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 T. ground flax seeds
4 T. water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 apple, finely chopped
1/2 cup oatmeal, + about 2 T. for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the sugars, ground flax seeds, water, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in the chopped apple and oatmeal.
- Line a cupcake tray with baking cups and pour the mixture evenly into each cup.
- Sprinkle a small amount of oatmeal on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5-10 minutes before diving in.
- Enjoy!! 🙂