I think Starbucks changed all their pastries because the other day when I went to grab my Grande Mocha with extra whipped cream (classicly yummy), I eyeballed the crap out of the pastry case only to realize that there was a new oatmeal & fruit pastry in the place of the previously delightful Blueberry Oat Bar. It was a sad, sad moment in Laura world.
Hence, my attempt to recreate it.
I spent the entire day chatting to Brittles about food yesterday which inspired me to bake some of these for her (and Baby!). We’re two full weeks into the new year we finally have a date tonight!!! SO excited. We haven’t seen each other since the holidays and we are starting a new hobby together! We are calling it The Sisterhood of the Traveling Sweet Tooth, which is our way of pawning off all the sugary concoctions we produce to each other so we don’t eat them all on our own. We found some super neat containers at World Market that have really gorgeous designs on them, so we are going to just keep passing them forward filled with goodies. 🙂
1/2 cup butter*
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 T. water
1/2 fresh lemon, squeezed
*to make this vegan, use 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil and 1/3 cup applesauce!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar.
- In a second smaller bowl, stir the flour and baking powder together.
- Mix the flour into the butter/sugar mixture until evenly combined.
- Mash in the oatmeal.
- In an 8’x8′ glass baking dish, press the batter into the bottom to form a crust. Set aside about 1/2 cup on the batter to be used as crumbles later.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add the blueberries, water, lemon juice and sugar into a medium saucepan at low heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mash some of the berries against the side of the pan until they burst.
- Once the crust is ready, pour the blueberry mixture on the crust, leaving about 1/2 inch near the edges of the glass dish.
- Evenly crumble the remaining crust dough over the blueberries.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the top begins to golden.
Allow to cool and eat for breakfast OR eat immediately with vanilla ice cream! 😛