Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
makes 8 pieces, takes 30 minutes
1/2 cup butter*
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 T. water
1/2 fresh lemon, squeezed
*to make this vegan, use 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil and 1/3 cup applesauce!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar.
- In a second smaller bowl, stir the flour and baking powder together.
- Mix the flour into the butter/sugar mixture until evenly combined.
- Mash in the oatmeal.
- In an 8’x8′ glass baking dish, press the batter into the bottom to form a crust. Set aside about 1/2 cup on the batter to be used as crumbles later.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Add the blueberries, water, lemon juice and sugar into a medium saucepan at low heat.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Mash some of the berries against the side of the pan until they burst.
- Once the crust is ready, pour the blueberry mixture on the crust, leaving about 1/2 inch near the edges of the glass dish.
- Evenly crumble the remaining crust dough over the blueberries.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the top begins to golden.
Allow to cool and eat for breakfast OR eat immediately with vanilla ice cream! 😛